Monday, May 31, 2010

Tam's Old Race Car Site

It's 1961, the Scarabs have been sold to new owners in the Midwest and the Cobra project is still fulminating in the mind of Carroll Shelby. In the interim, California road courses are dominated by Maserati Type 61 "Birdcages" and Jurassic-era V8 powered Specials. The photos on this site document an age when the power source was still in front, and giants like Bill Krause, Bob Drake, Ken Miles and others ruled West Coast racing. At least they seemed like giants to me, at 13.






Who's that goofy-looking kid standing by Ed Leslie's Lotus 20 in front of the old Leslie Motors in Monterey?

I'd received a Voigtlander Bessa I medium format camera for my birthday and I used it to take photos at California sports car races between July, 1961, and April, 1962. I've carefully saved these treasured possessions for over 40 years.



Scans of my Kodacolor prints from 1961-62 are listed below as well as a few photos contributed by others. "Special Sections" includes more of my work from 1961-62, my recent photography from historic racing events, and photos and info contributed to the site by other photographers. (Link below!) The site also has loads of other info, from car insurance quote news, to special sections on different races, and a whole host of other great stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment